Monday, June 16, 2014

I am glowing with radioactive materials......

2014.06.16

MONDAY

Woke up first at 5:30 am. Took the dog out for a quick pee and then back to bed until 6:30 am. The sky was cloudy but the sun shone through. Up, chatted with Nikki and Carla , medicine, shower and dressed by 7 am. I needed to be done eating by 7:30 am as I needed to be fasting before my appointment.

Got Eric ready to spend the day with Farfar and Evy so they could keep and eye on him and his diabetes. I left at 9 am and it took me nearly an hour to get to the hospital thanks to all the construction traffic on the highway. It was ok. I played some music and contemplated many things in life.Why do we subject ourselves to this type of torture to the body? Is it because of our will to live. We are only here on earth a finite number of years. Why does it usually take something like life or death to make us appreciate what we have and live each day to the fullest?  I sang along to all the good songs and didn't care what the other drivers thought.


I got a great parking spot at the hospital and walked in to the main entrance to go to the lab to leave my blood to them. There were about 25 people ahead of me. All of them are sick. I have a immune system that is susceptible to infection. I do not want to be around sick people. Slight panic. At the other lab I usually go to they told me "you have cancer, come right to the front of the line". The next nurse that came out, I asked her if I could be taken sooner because of my risk for infection. She says sit here. (here being where all the sick people pass by) after about 10 minutes I start to panic a little more and ask the supervisor. Finally something happens and they take me next.  It is already stressful enough to have cancer. Why can't somethings be easy??????


Gave her my blood. Then I went up to the Nuclear Medicine department. I was about an hour early for the PET/CT scan. They took me a little earlier. There wasn't much time for anxiety because Nikki was keeping me company by chatting with me. First I got called in to take a pill and then to get a line put in. Then it was wait an hour. Then it was follow me to this room and he rolls over a machine with the radioactive material in it. He hooks me up and presses a button. About 30 seconds later it is done. Now it was wait an hour again. Finally it was my turn.

Finally the formula in use......

Poster in the hallway showing what was going to happen.....

Radioactive material hidden inside this machine


I walked in, got to lay down with my hands above my head and not move for 30 minutes. My eyes were closed the whole time and I just thought happy thoughts about the future.  Before I knew it, it was over.

Then it was a drive home in some more traffic.


This whole experience started in a surreal way on February 20th when the doctor said that I had cancer and will probably end in a surreal way this Thursday, June 19th. Maybe the cancer is already gone from my body. The only thing left are all the bloody side effects of those nasty but effective cancer killing drugs. On Thursday I will know one way or the other what the future holds.


One thing I do know is that the friends I have are awesome. Some are super awesome. I value each and every friend that has been there for me the past 4 months. I couldn't have done this without their support. All my friends that are praying for me - awesome! Thank you for taking the time to think about me in prayer. When I say friends, I include the family members that are also friends.

So, there is less than three days left to find out............

Anxious. LOVED. Nervous. GRATEFUL. Scared. FRIENDS. AWESOME. KICKING ASS........

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous17/6/14

    We are counting down the days with you and hoping to see you soon! Nick, Mike, Ash, Jack and Kate! Go Aunt Teresa! Kick Cancer's Ass! Here's to a clean PET Scan, being cancer free, and years of happiness ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOPE to see all of you guys soon. HUGS

      Delete
  2. dearest teresa! you are almost there - your journey to wellness again. You have so many of our friends praying for you and for the best results this week. It is amazing how many people say to dad and I, that" We are praying for Teresa!! " I love that you sing in the car and your fearlessness in having fun and looking for joy through all of this. Know that you are loved and cherished. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom- thanks. I got the singing gene from you. You will never see me on American Idol. (Unless it is the blooper reel)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous17/6/14

    Tack för dina ord som ger kraft även till andra som du inte känner. Du är Teresa, full av kraft! Håller tummarna för att du ska få ett bra besked. Du har kämpat hårt och modigt för det. Du är värd allt gott!/ irre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Irre - tack för dina fina ord. Jag längtar tills jag få veta hur allt står till med denna cancer.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous17/6/14

    Thank you for sharing and make us all appreciate every positive detail of our lives, and those are many. You're such an inspiration for us all when we have to deal with obstacles in life. May all bad cells be gone forever and may your body recover completely. Kram Petra J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petra - We all have obstacles in life and getting over them is what gives us strength. HUGS.

      Delete
  5. You're not only glowing with radioactivity, you're glowing with life Teresa! you just turn on that radio of yours and sing out louder than loud, here's to happiness and loving life! chiming in with each and one above, hear hear. Friends cannot be bought, they come as gifts to kind hearts and generous souls like butterflies to an open hand. You are one of those people Teresa, you're a butterfly magnet! lots and lots and lots of love to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Eila, Thanks for your kind words. It is good the people next to me can't here me singing when I am in the car- not one of my strong points. ;-)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete